Friday, May 18, 2007

Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki: US to Free Iranian Diplomats (spies) in Iraq

TEHRAN, May 18--Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Friday that his Iraqi counterpart Hoshyar Zebari had quoted the US officials as saying that the five Iranian diplomats kidnapped in Iraq would be freed late May or early June.

AlAlam.IR : Mottaki s (Iran's FM) said in his meeting with the families of the five diplomats that the ministry is also trying to find a mechanism to receive compensation from the US administration for the American troops' raid on Iran's Consulate in the northern Iraqi city of Arbil, which led to the kidnapping of the diplomats.

Mottaki said that in his meetings with Iraqi president, prime minister, foreign minister and other senior officials "I made it clear that the Iraqi government must work to release the Iranian diplomats.""The United States should admit to its Iraq policy failures at the upcoming Tehran-Washington meeting on Iraqi security, if it wants talks to make headway," Mottaki added.The US and Iranian envoys are to meet in Baghdad on May 28 for talks on Iraq's security in what is believed to be the first official encounter between the two countries in three decades.

8 comments:

Rancher said...

I hate to think that we cut a deal to get those Brits released.

SERENDIP said...

Rancher: You might be right. But my hunch is that it has to do with Haleh Esfandiari. Don't ask me why because I can't really tell you but I think her life is in grave danger...

Rosemary Welch said...

You may be right, Serendip. However, I wouldn't trust anything that came out of that regime's mouth. The thing that really frightens me? I'm almost at the place where I cannot even believe my own government...due to this illegal alien stunt they're trying to pull!

Rancher said...

Rosemary, trust no one over thirty! Wait, I'm 48, scratch that.

Rancher said...

"Don't ask me why." Ok. But any illumination on this would be appreciated. Amnesty redux; don't go for anything that doesn't put border security first. Remember the Fort Dix Six.

SERENDIP said...

Rancher: I don't know why because If I knew I could tell you. It's just a feeling I have. It's a gut feeling...I am a bit psychic, you might say. I have a feeling something really bad is going to happen to her...I hope you don't think I'm a kook...LOL

Gayle said...

I don't think you're a cook, Serendip. I get those feelings too.

I'm with Rosemarie... this is getting so strange! I don't see how anyone can trust anything coming out of that regime's mouth, and the border bill is absolute lunacy! :(

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the US Government just had talks with Iran. Hummmmmmm! We have some captured servicemen. Hummmmm! Didn't this happen before only they all got killed becaus we got too close to fast???? Just a thought......