Friday, August 10, 2007

Amir is back blogging

This one's for you Gracchii of Westminster Wisdom:

This is an old post of Amir but contains information you will not read anywhere else. . Here we go:

In 1980 Yasser Arafat came to Iran and brought with him a few dozen girls of say 9 and 10 to around 14. (I was 9 then.) They were staying at the hotel my dad was managing at the time, and where my family was staying, the Arya-Sheraton (Homa). They were also on the News, they had singing choruses, singing revolutionary songs, and of course “Khomeini qa’ed”. At some point my dad was forced to go with them and meet Khomeini at Jamaran.
Years later my dad told me that these girls were brought to Iran as an offering of sorts. Everynight, the Hezbollah bigshots and the important mullahs would go to their rooms and temporarily marry them. In Iran this is called “sigheh;” in Arabic I think it is “jawaz muta” or something like it. In America it is child-prostitution.

Then my dad would get a call from housekeeping about the disgusting state the rooms would be left in the next day.

The host of this group was Ayatollah Karubi, the long time leader of the Islamic parliament and a presidential candidate in the last elections, running on a “reform” platform.
***
I am told that my experiences with the Hezbollah in Iran has blinded me, rendering me inable to understand that the Hezbollah in Lebanon is a “grass-roots” movement.

Well, a “grass-roots” movement funded (given weapons to) in the hundred million dollar a year range, by Iran, while the line of absolute poverty is always on the rise in Iran. “Grass-root”? Well, let’s cut the foreign money and see how “grass-roots” it is. And does being a “grass-roots” movement make it right? Nazis were also “grass-root.”

As the matter of fact, among the people who accuse me of not realizing the difference between the Hezbollah in Iran and the “grass-roots” movement in Lebanon, I am the only one who has seen both.

I’ve seen the places that are currently bombed, in Beirut and in the south, close up, and I’ve even spoken to the Hezbollah characters, both Iranians and Lebanese.
The Lebanese of other confessions other than Shiite Islam, because they don’t (yet) have to conform to the Shiite rules made up by the Hezbollah, have little problem tolerating what the Hezbollah does to their own people. They keep thinking to themselves that what is going on in Iran is perhaps part of their culture, and that no one will ever force them to be the same, because they are different and special… I remember during the revolutionary upheavals how Christians and Jews were also ranking among the Hezbollahis and how even my own family members would put on a chador or a veil just to show solidarity… They then were never able to take them off, and the Christians and Jews lost all their rights and in huge numbers had to flee the country.

Being a Shiite would mean either having to submit to the mafia that is running the neighborhoods, or to break-away completely and live with harassments, being a Kafar, someone who has had religion but now is going against it, an apostate… The sentence for that is death, no questions asked. This is of course a lot harsher in Iran than in Lebanon. In Lebanon this self-proclaimed “resistance movement” does not yet have hegemony… But many Lebanese, “blinded” by heroic tales of the unity of the underclasses around the world against big business and IMF and World Bank and Imperialism and what have you… might soon make a hegemonic force out of this so-called “resistance movement” that hides behind the civilians.
But the Iranian money they receive, if they were a grass-roots movement that really cared about the well-being of their community, should have improved their neighborhoods enormously. Instead, they are proud of having Iranian re-fabricated Chinese and Ukranian military technology that only brings on them more death and destruction and subjects them further to the mercy of this ruthless fascistic cult.

I don’t care about Venezuella, the multi-national corporations that want to rule the world. I don’t care about Ghana. I don’t care about places I haven’t been to. I only care about places I have been to, and the people I know, not some generic revolution of the downtrodden.
When I became a US citizen, the oath that I took was not a lie. I truly believe what I promised, and realize why I am here and what a privelege it is to be here. But I also remember Iran, read and follow the news about it, and have seen Lebanon also.

I hope they take away Hezbollah’s weapons and stop them from starting fights that they cannot win.

6 comments:

blank said...

From the theme song of the movie Billy Jack

Do it in name of heaven, you can justify it in the end. . .

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot Violin. What a reception... full pomp and circumstance... Yes, I see you are engaged with the temporary marriage issue... on the same topic: do you remember Mehdi Mahdavi-Kia, the Iranian footballer from Hamburg (now Frankfurt) who went to Iran, came back and turned out had married again there? Now, among the so-called legionnares of Iranian football, Kia is hands down the most talented and the most intelligent. One of the only ones who's actually made the effort to learn the language and integrate into the atmosphere... and he comes back with this story... What can be expected from those who never left... You see, despite the fact that we blame the democrats or the bbc, unless Iranians themselves take responsiblity, we are just wasting our breath...

Anyway, it is very nice to be back and thank you for all this...

SERENDIP said...

Dear Amir: You're more than welcome. Keep on translating those poems. They are great. Best of luck on finishing your dessertation. It must be stressful times for you.

Anonymous said...

Interesitng I think you may well be right about Arafat especially as the reports that he suffered from aids are now multiplying. I don't know if they are true or not I hasten to add but if true they would suggest teh same kidn of thing

SERENDIP said...

Good to see you Gracchi. If it weren't for you, I would have never started blogging. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, however, I am wondering what can one expect from "governments"?
Any government you know that is not corrupt? Shah had her girls from France, these A.... have them form Arab speaking countries. Yes, this is child prostitution and horrible, however I feel that adult prostitution is no better as the "consent" is a myth in such "profession".