Saturday, August 04, 2007

Barbarians at the Gate



By now, you've probably heard of Mitt Romeny's recent speech on Hezbollah. At a town hall meeting in Iowa last Friday, Mitt Romney offered a controversial twist on his usual stump speech when he held up Hezbollah as a model for the effectiveness of using social services as a way to win hearts and minds. “Did you notice in Lebanon what Hezbollah did? Lebanon became a democracy some time ago. And while their government was getting underway, Hezbollah went into southern Lebanon and provided health clinics to some of the people there and schools. And they built their support by having done so,” Romney said. “That kind of diplomacy is something that would help America become stronger around the world and help people understand that our interest is an interest toward modernity and goodness and freedom for all people of the world.”

Though I'm fervently anti-Hezbolallh and anti- all those immoral southern Lebanese who are the biggest welfare kings and queens robbing Iranians of their national wealth, I think Romney gets it. The message (while very ill-worded) is actually a valid point: The “social services” (building schools and hospitals, etc.) approach is very important in winning the PR battle, and the hearts and minds of the locals.

But it needs to be done right.

The US actually does quite a bit in aid and help in Lebanon, Iraq, and other Arab countries. But a lot of that gets lost in the rhetoric and grandiose speeches.
Just yesterday I read a couple of stories on Naharnet about the US financing some water project in South Lebanon and the EU donating 5.5M dollars to the Nahr Al Bared refugees.
But no one ever talks about that. And what’s even more annoying is that often, the recipients of this aid act entitled and complain about the very people who are giving them aid (calling them great evil satans and what have you).
Mitt Romney does not want America to be more like Hezbollah, he wants America to be more like Iran which is pulling the strings for Hezbollah.

In principle I agree with Romney that the Hezbollah franchise --of which Hamas in Palestine and Mahdi Army in Iraq are examples--is insidiously a raging success as Karim Sadjapour of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (director of Carnegie Iran Initiative), points out in a piece at IHT:

Karim Sadjadpour

Tehran has generously armed and funded militant groups ever since the country's 1979 Islamic revolution. As opposed to the Soviet Union, however, today Iran's preferred vehicle of choice to spread its power and influence throughout the Middle East is, ironically, democratic elections. Though Iran's clerical rulers refuse to hold free and fair elections at home, the strong electoral showings of Hamas in Palestine, the Muslim brotherhood in Egypt, Hezbollah in Lebanon, and Shiite co-coreligionists in Iraq, has Tehran confident that their Islamist friends have won the battle for the region's hearts and minds, while Western-oriented liberals are in retreat. In the words of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, "Today, if a referendum is held in any Islamic country, the people will vote for individuals supporting Islam and opposing the United States."

In a twisted Machiavellian way it’s kind of brilliant and if U.S wants to make headway in Iraq or anywhere else it needs to learn to use the same tools that it's enemy is using, or at least learn to understand and counter them.
All USAID projects in the Middle east have a large sign that says “Offered by the people of the United States Of America”. Still, it does not t work because it gives the impression that the US is trying to bribe the people.

It’s a complex combination of trust and generosity that can pull loyalty off. And trust leaves a lot to be desired. How to build this trust again matters. It takes human and personal contact ; learning of other's struggles, aspirations and dreams ;teaching them who we are as Americans (instead of anti-Americanism propaganda they are taught by the extremists), sharing with them what we hope and aspire for and how our democracy works, and genuine willingness and interest in getting to know other cultures and sincere interface with people of other nations. We live in a globalized world where people and cultures are bound to collide. How we manage this collision, will make the difference between living in peace or constant conflagration of war and carnage. We cannot afford to want to be isolated or left alone anymore. What happens is Lebanon, Iran, Palestine, Iraq, or Afghanistan is going to effect all of our lives personally albeit indirectly in so many unimagined ways.

We must win the ideological and propaganda war if we are to save Western Civilization from the barbarians at the gate.

6 comments:

programmer craig said...

Hi Serendip,

Interesting post. I don't think it's possible for the US to make any substantial progress towards winning "hearts and minds" in this ideological struggle. We aren't Muslims and we don't share the same ideology as most Arabs. I think that's why we never get credit for the good things we do, and we always get blamed for everything bad that happens. If Arab countries (and their populations) were secular, it might be different.

I did notice that Pakistani public opinion about the US went up substantially for a while after US provided so much earthquake relief, but it went back down again in almost no time at all.

SERENDIP said...

We aren't Muslims and we don't share the same ideology as most Arabs.

This is exactly what we need to work on. There are no muslim genese per se in anyone's DNA. We also have to counter the propagnda by the extremists that being a muslim is equivalent to becoming a crusader against other people. Short of killing more than 1.5 billion muslims, what other choice do we have???

programmer craig said...

Short of killing more than 1.5 billion muslims, what other choice do we have???

I don't know. I don't know how we can force secularism on societies that don't want to be secular. The neocons thought that Arabs would embrace secular democracy if given the chance, but I think they've been proven wrong. With the possible exception of Lebanon, that is.

I see a lot of ideas that have been failing in the middle east for a lot of years, but I don't have any ideas about what might work.

I'm just saying I don't think the US can realistically do that kind of humanitarian outreach and expect to get credit for it. I think US (and western) efforts in the ME will always be suspect.

I've actually thought a lot about this (my best friend is an Arab Muslim living in the ME) and I'm a lot less optimistic than I was a few years ago. I'm sorry to say that I can't really think of a solution. I'm just hoping that somebody comes up with one, sometime before it's too late.

programmer craig said...

Hi Serendip,

The ideas were right ideas but they have failed because we did not know how to execute them because we don't understand the culture...

And we still don't, in my opinion. I do agree that strict separation of the worldly from the spiritual is the only possible way to counter the existing "jihad" phenomenon, whatever one wishes to call it... but how do we get there, from here? I have no idea, but I suspect a societal change like that has to come from within, as it did in Europe during the reformation.

And I don't agree that moslems don't want to be secular.

OK, I need to clarify... I am speaking specifically of Arab Muslims. I think there is a good chance that secularism can be accepted in Iran, if given a chance.

When it comes to Arab Muslims, though, I have to say that most of the Arab Muslims I have encountered are quite religious by American standards, and most of them seem to think the term "secular" is a curse word. (I'm talking about the "opposition" - supporters of the status quo are secular, but non-democratic)

The radicalization of the region toward religion is precisely because of of lack of organization skills and funds for the secular forces.

Well, in the Arab world, who are those "secular forces", Serendip? A few bloggers (but not the majority) and one or two media pundits, also a distinct minority?

The lack of support for secularism in Iraq and the fact Muslim Brotherhood is the only meaningful opposition in Egypt has really set back my thinking on secularism in the Arab middle east.

I'll ignore Palestinians because I think they've been used as pawns by both pan-Arab nationalists and Islamists for so long that they don't know up form down anymore.

The clergies in the mosques are the most organized both economically and socially in the region and they are also very cunning and take advantage of their citizen's ignorance and vulnerability.

Yes, I agree. But that does not absolve people from their responsibility, once they realize they've been used and lied to by the very people who are supposed to be offering them spiritual guidance. But instead, it seems that they become even more entrenched and more intolerant of dissent when the rightness or wrongness of their religious beliefs are called into question.

There needs to be a force just as powerful and organized for the seculars to counter the influence of the corrupt mullahs/clergies in the mosque.

I would argue that force to counter the Islamists already exists. And that force is pan-Arab nationalism. The status quo. The Islamists did not rise as a counter to the west - they rose as a counter to secular Arab nationalism and the dictatorships that represent Arab nationalism. What the west needs is a way to counter both movements. But I don't see any meaningful number of people in between those two ideologies for the West to support. I really don't. And I've been looking long and hard.

I want to note again that I am speaking specifically of Arab Muslims, though I'd apply some of what I said here to Pakistan as well.

I hate to say it, but I've pretty much given up on the Arab middle east. I think things are going to get pretty ugly, there.

By the way, to tie it back in with Iran and Hezbollah... I think it is this conflict between Arab nationalists and Arab Islamists that has given Iran an opportunity to play a part in the Arab world. Iran hasn't been able to demonstrate much influence in any non-Arab Muslim country, as of yet.

SERENDIP said...

All valid points. I have to admit I don't know much about Arabs..but I know one thing: The sunnis are a much better candidates as U.S. allies than the shi'ites.

I would argue that force to counter the Islamists already exists. And that force is pan-Arab nationalism

That is no longer true. Look at Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia...In these countries the Islamist and pan-arabist have formed an alliance albeit transitional.

At any rate, I do agree that we still don't know much about the culture but I'm beginning to see rays of hope in Iraq under General Peatarus...We need to do more research and learn the language. Everyone needs to learn Arabic and Persian. Most Russians and Chinese who work in Iran speak fluent Persian before they ever come to the country.

programmer craig said...

You're right. I shouldn't be so quick to give up hope. I do see glimmers of possibility from time to time :)

I agree with you about language as well. Americans have never been good about learning the language of the countries we are involved in. It's long past time that we changed that.