Saturday, July 28, 2007

Activist Burns Rare & Expensive Koran to Make Statement


Artist, atheist and gay activist Charles Merrill enjoys a moment of peace in Venice.Charles Merrill, the extravagant artist and gay rights activist, burned a $60,000 copy of the Koran to protest Islam's stance on gay rights. Via ROP and PR Newswire. He had also burned a Bible in public without fearing of being beheaded. He chose to burn the Koran in Private. I wonder why?

one of Mr. Merrill's smartest moves? We have to see and wait how many fatwas are issued for his beheading... Historically, the reaction from burning a Bible is not exactly the same reaction one receives when one burns a Koran. However, I give him credit. That took some intestinal fortitude.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

hhmm, interesting that he burned the Koran in private! I'm glad you posted about this. I don't think I would have heard about it otherwise.

blank said...

Wow, that's brave! $60,000 -- wow, see, that settles it -- I can't afford to convert to Islam -- way to expensive.